Reply To: Romans, a doctrinal expos'e of the christian life.

Home Forums New Testament Romans Romans, a doctrinal expos'e of the christian life. Reply To: Romans, a doctrinal expos'e of the christian life.

PastorPoad
Keymaster

Romans 1:1b a servant of Christ Jesus,

The first title Paul claims is a title of humility. The Greek word is doulos, which would be better translated slave. This can be seen in the meaning of the word, [from the word study KJV.] A doulos is “one who is in a permanent relation of servitude to another, his will being altogether consumed in the will of the other.” The verb douloo, “to make a slave or servant, to subject, to subjugate, to be dependent.”

In this first verse, the word has a good meaning, but it is also used in relation to bad servitude as well. Paul uses this word in seven different places in Romans and I will point them out to you,

Rom 6:16,17. NKJV, Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that ones slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?
17.But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.

Rom 6:19,20 NKJV. I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh, for just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.

The only kind of slave that is truly free is the one who is a slave to the Lord Jesus Christ. If we refuse to serve Him, to be His slaves, you may rest assured that you will become enslaved by something else! your will will become consumed by another, or by your own sinful desires, what is commonly called addiction today, Paul refers to as enslavement. You have become a slave perhaps to alcohol, to drugs, or to some other vile sin? The only pathway to real freedom is to become a slave to Jesus Christ, a full and unreserved surrender to Him.

You may say, He is asking for too much! But you may rest assured that if you don’t give your whole life to Him, you will be consumed by something else! There is no neutral ground here! No spiritual Switzerland. This is all out war! My friend your only safe place is a full submission and full surrender to the Lord Jesus Christ! This is what God has always intended for you and me. Perhaps this is why you are currently in bondage to your sins? Because you are not currently a doulos of the Lord Jesus Christ! A man cannot serve two masters, he will love the one and despise the other! Jesus is such a Master that He will not allow us to share allegiance with another. He requires our whole beings and our whole life! Lets give Him this today, for it is only when we do this we find freedom!